Monday, February 23, 2009

A Steady Diet of MSG: Chinese Snacks



                                                           Preserved Miniature Crabs
                  I actually made it through the first serving, or crab if you will, without gagging.  With a scale of 1 being barely palatable and 5 inducing a fit of vomiting, I'd give this a 2.  Subtle hints of MSG, red coloring, and a not-so-subtle crunch hit me right off.  Unfortunately, upon second tasting,  I only made through 2-3 seconds of trying to swallow bits of miniature sea-life which had been dead who knows how long before encountering an involuntary gag reflex and spitting the whole thing out into the trash can.  So in retrospect, I'd have to give this a 4, since there was no disguising by artificial flavors what I was eating and I felt no will-power to try to force a third serving down my throat. 

No comments: